Objectives of the Cambodia National Rescue Movement (CNRM)
At a moment when CNRP activists and supporters are in disarray after the arrest and jailing of President Kem Sokha, the government-proclaimed dissolution of the CNRP and the arbitrary and undemocratic removal of all our elected officials at the national as well as at the local level, we must find a solution to break the stalemate, to reinvigorate the spirit of all Cambodian patriots and democrats, and to bring a new momentum to our struggle in these difficult circumstances.
The Cambodia National Rescue Movement (CNRM) will help the CNRP in the following ways:
1. The CNRM will provide CNRP activists and supporters with a new, legitimate and flexible structure that nobody can harm or dissolve, not even on paper. It can launch appeals to the people to organize peaceful protests, to workers to go on strike and to the armed forces to side with the people instead of siding with authoritarian rulers.
2. The CNRM will bring back hope to the hearts of all CNRP activists and supporters who will see clearly that, in spite of the government-proclaimed dissolution of the CNRP, those who uphold its ideals can continue their activities within a new, safer and more efficient structure.
3. The CNRM will gather more supporters for the democratic cause because a Movement can include members from more circles, such as civil society organizations, who cannot be members of political parties.
4. The CNRM will form its leadership — with a core group coming from the CNRP — who can communicate freely, smoothly, without obstacles and can make decisions freely, in a transparent manner, and on time (which is not possible within the present structures of the CNRP in the present situation).
5. The CNRM will strive for the release of CNRP President Kem Sokha and all prisoners of conscience, for the full respect of citizens’ rights and for the holding of free and fair elections with the participation of the CNRP. Once these objectives are achieved, the CNRM will dissolve itself and all its leaders and activists originally from the CNRP will return to their original party to contribute to the CNRP’s victory in the upcoming election, thus enabling the CNRP to fulfil its mission, which is to rescue our motherland.